The Department of Statistics at the University of Illinois in partnership with LAS has opened a search for a Visiting Instructional Technology Specialist to join our department. The Visiting Instructional Technology Specialist will help faculty design and create computing systems for use in data science instruction. Working within the Department of Statistics, they will collaborate with department IT professionals and ATLAS (LAS IT Unit) to implement, deploy, and test those systems. The Visiting Instructional Technology Specialist will provide technical support to faculty and students on developed software and applications, as well as research and provide recommendations and guidance on the latest technology and future directions for its use in instruction.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to design and develop high quality tools and computing environments for data intensive and computationally intensive instruction.
- Consult with faculty and teaching assistants on the effective use of technology in support of their educational goals, and assist and train them in designing and testing appropriate software application stacks.
- Collaborate with department and college IT professionals on software deployment and system architecture needs using on-premise servers and/or the cloud.
- Provide expertise and guidance regarding the latest data science technologies, including but not limited to server, cloud-based and distributed computing paradigms; version management systems; interactive computing environments; and document formats for reproducibility.
- Support of classroom technology including mobile devices to provide seamless access to the above computing environments.
- Create and deliver help documents, tutorials, presentations, as well as workshops.
- Provide timely support and troubleshooting in response to academic technology issues.
- Serve as the point of escalation for major technical issues.
- Perform testing to ensure new platform and application features and 3rd-party integrations work as expected.
- Help ensure service’s performance and security to meet user needs and requirements.
- Create and help coordinate service-related communications with users.
- Coordinate and assist with the customization, delivery, and upgrades of computational environments including third-party application installation, integration, configuration, and maintenance.
- Provide routine software and hardware maintenance.
- Solicit input from faculty and students to align instructional technology with needs through focus and advisory groups.
- Research emerging technologies for instruction, automated grading, online collaboration platforms etc., and advise as to future directions relevant to education and experiential learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues in LAS and ATLAS to enact the missions of the units as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with faculty in a higher education setting.
- Good understanding of and experience with a variety of current computing paradigms such as server, cloud-based and distributed computing; version management systems; interactive computing environments; and document formats for reproducibility.
- Experience and knowledge of various data access, processing and analysis technologies such as Hadoop, SQL, R, and Python.
- Dedication to providing excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of accessibility standards, compliance, and software licensing.
- Strong analytical, organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills.
- Proven ability to identify and meet project design requirements as well as milestones.
- Ability to work both independently and within a diverse team.
- Strong communication skills, including client presentation skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive data.
- Availability to work some weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
- Two years of experience employing relevant technologies in a consultative role.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM related field
- Advanced knowledge and experience with a variety of current computing paradigms such as server, cloud-based and distributed computing; version management systems; interactive computing environments; and document formats for reproducibility.
- Experience deploying software in containers and in virtual environments.
- Experience with implementation of automated grading systems.
- Experience with learning management systems such as Moodle and Prairie Learn.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and delivering training.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing technologies.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, visiting position. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position may become non-visiting at a later date.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by October 22, 2018. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Education and Student Services
Title: Visiting Instructional Technology Specialist - Department of Statistics (103261)
Close Date: 10/22/2018
Organization Name: Statistics