725 S. Wright St.
Champaign, IL 61820
I did two years post graduate scientist (post-doc) at Institute for Mathematics Applied to Geosciences (IMAGe), at National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, CO before I moved to Purdue in 2008. I moved to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2013, and now I am a Professor with Richard and Margaret Romano Professorial Scholar and Data Science Founder Professorial Scholar.
- Univariate and multivariate spatio-temporal data modeling
- Bayesian hierarchical modeling
- Functional data methods
- Spatial extremes
- Paleoclimate reconstruction
- Large data analysis in climatology, atmospheric and environmental science
- Public health such as HIV, vector-born disease, and heat wave related human morbidity
- Time series data analysis
My research mainly focuses on spatial and spatio-temporal statistics and environmental statistics concerning problems in climatology, atmospheric sciences, public health, forestry and agriculture.
PhD, Statistics, Texas A&M University, 2006
M.S. in Statistics, Texas A&M University, May. 2004.
M.S. in Ship and Ocean Engineering Fluid Mechanics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
B.S. in Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Minor in Industrial Foreign Trade, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Additional Campus Affiliations
Professor, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
- Harris, T., Li, B., Steiger, N., Smerdon, J., Narisetty, N. and Tucker, D., Evaluating proxy influence in assimilated paleoclimate reconstructions – Testing the exchangeability of two ensembles of spatial processes (2020), Journal of the American Statistical Association, to appear.
- Harris, T., Tucker, D., Li, B. and Shand, L., Elastic depths for detecting shape anomalies in functional data, (2020), Technometrics, to appear.
- Stone, C. M., Zuo, Z., Li, B., O’Hara Ruiz, M., Swanson, J., Hunt, J., Kim, C-H., & Smith, R. L. (2020). Spatial, Temporal, and Genetic Invasion Dynamics of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Illinois. Journal of medical entomology, [tjaa047]. https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjaa047
- Yun, S., Zhang, X., & Li, B. (Accepted/In press). Detection of Local Differences in Spatial Characteristics Between Two Spatiotemporal Random Fields. Journal of the American Statistical Association. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.2020.1775613
- Barboza, L. A., Emile-geay, J., Li, B., & He, W. (Accepted/In press). Efficient Reconstructions of Common Era Climate via Integrated Nested Laplace Approximations. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13253-019-00372-4
- Cao, Y., & Li, B. (2019). Assessing models for estimation and methods for uncertainty quantification for spatial return levels. Environmetrics, 30(2), [e2508]. https://doi.org/10.1002/env.2508
Li, Y., Guan, K., Yu, A., Peng, B., Zhao, L., Li, B., & Peng, J. (2019). Toward building a transparent statistical model for improving crop yield prediction: Modeling rainfed corn in the U.S. Field Crops Research, 234, 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2019.02.005