The David H. Blackwell Summer Scholars Program is designed to increase the access and equity in the pipeline for graduate degrees in statistics, data science, and mathematics. The David H. Blackwell Summer Scholars Program will offer research experiences during the summer to 8-12 students. The goal of the project is advance the scholars’ knowledge of statistics, data science, and mathematics and to prepare them for success in future graduate programs. The Department of Statistics at the University of Illinois is well poised and dedicated to fulfill programmatic efforts that are exemplary of Professor Blackwell’s name.
Blackwell Summer Scholars Program is a six week program during Summer-2023 to work alongside leading faculty in selected areas of statistics and/or mathematics based research. The program will be held from May 22 through June 30. Further details will be forthcoming. Participants will give a presentation based on their research project at the end of the workshop.
Participants will be awarded with the Blackwell Scholars scholarship that will provide two generous stipend payments paid out over the duration of the workshop.
Areas of Research Topics
- Statistical Theory
- Applications of Statistics
- Mathematical Theory
- Applications of Mathematics
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial Academic Transcripts
- Personal/Research Statement on interests in statistics and/or mathematics (400 words max)
- 1. Describe the research areas that interest you and your post-baccalaureate goals
- 2. Describe how your personal and cultural background and academic development influenced your educational and career plans for the future
- 1 letter of academic recommendation (Provide name and contact of recommender in application system and recommender will receive a unique link via email to upload their letter directly to your application)
- Opens: Dec 1, 2022
- Deadline: March 10, 2023
- Notifications: March 24, 2023
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or non-U.S. citizens with DACA.
- Be entering their juniors or senior year in college and not scheduled to graduate before December 2022.
- Have a minimum overall 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- Have an interest in pursuing a graduate degree.
- Have personal medical/health insurance coverage throughout the duration of the program.
- $5,000 stipend
- $2,500 at the halfway point of the program
- $2,500 at the completion of the program
- Research and graduate application mentorship by faculty and graduate students
- Networking, professional development, and career counseling
- Opportunity to present a research poster at Illinois Summer Research Symposium
Following the Apply Now! link above will direct you to the Graduate College website where applications are submitted and processed through. First-time users of the application system will need to create a unique user account to submit their application. Users who have submitted an application to a graduate program through the Graduate College may use their previous credentials to submit an additional application to this specific program. In the list of options of programs to apply to, select 2023 Blackwell Scholars App. At any time during the application process you have a question, please reach out to us at email@example.com.