In addition to the career resources detailed below, the Department of Statistics has a Career Advisor on staff. Andrea Franklin, is able to assist students with their career related inquiries and connect them to available resources on campus.
THE CAREER CENTER
The U of I Career Center is a great resource for all things career related, from early career exploration to resume writing, job searching and company research, grad school prep, interview prep, and job posts and internship info. To learn more about how your chosen Major can lead you to the your career goals, please see The Career Center's Connect Your Major to a Career. The What Can I Do With This Major link found under the Recommended section of the Connect Your Major to a Career page will link you to a valuable resource for discovering the many different paths a career in Statistics will take you.
INTLCONNECT (FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS)
INTLConnect is specifically for international students. The website contains information about work authorization , job searching , resumes and interviewing, workshops , and more geared toward the specific needs of international job seekers.
AMERICAN STATISTICAL ASSOCIATION (ASA) RESOURCES
The American Statistical Association provides a number of career related resources online. Here are a few of those resources.
THIS IS STATISTICS
- The This Is Statistics website by ASA explores what statistics is about and includes a good deal of information about career possibilities for statisticians.
ASA STATTR@K (FOR NEW STATISTICS PROFESSIONALS)
- The American Statistical Association’s STATtr@k website provides career-related resources specifically geared toward students and recent graduates.
ASA CAREER CENTER
- The American Statistical Association’s Career Center contains information about careers in statistics and resources for statisticians.
- The ASA also publishes career-related articles in its magazine and blog from time to time. Here are a couple articles on skills for success in employment students might find interesting:
- Preparing Master’s Statistics Students for Success: A Perspective from Recent Graduates and Employers
- My Climb Up the Corporate Ladder: Lessons Learned
BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS
The BLS website has lots of interesting info about the labor force in the U.S. The Occupational Outlook Handbook contains data about current jobs and future projections by category. The sections on Statisticians, Math Occupations, and Similar Occupations may be of particular interest. The BLS website has information about what statisticians do, the typical work environment, how to become a statistician, the median annual wages, the current job outlook, as well as resources for additional information.
You can think of LinkedIn as a social networking site for your career. In addition to being great for maintaining your professional connections, it’s a nice resource for job postings, interest and alumni groups, and articles on career related topics. They also have a university.linkedin.com website full of resources for setting up your profile and using LinkedIn effectively.
Recruiters often have a lot of information about available positions, employment trends, compensation, resumes and interviewing, and lots of other information of interest to job-searchers. One recruiting firm with close ties to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is Burtch Works . You can click on the Resources to get to a number a recent study on big data careers, a set of Helpful Links and a set of Helpful Resources. Linda Burtch’s blog is also a nice resource for information about data analytic careers and career trends.
OTHER CAREER FOCUSED WEBSITES
There are numerous other career focused websites, such as Learn How To Become , which provide pointers to online career resources.
In addition to department resources, students seeking an internship should also utilize the following resources:
- Handshake @ Illinois
- Career Center at Illinois
- Research Park Job Board
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Internships with Non-Profit Organizations
- Internships with Federal Government
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- SimplyHired statistics internship postings
- NHLBI Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics
- Internships in Recent Postings