Knowledge of statistical methods and theory has become increasingly important to students in many disciplines such as the life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, engineering, and business. As more and more data are collected, stored and analyzed, students are finding it increasingly beneficial to gain expertise in statistics to bolster their research skills and enhance their career opportunities. To help prepare such students the Department of Statistics offers an undergraduate minor for non-majors who take a significant number of courses in Statistics. Coursework for the degree exposes students to statistical computation, theory of mathematical statistics, and many common techniques of statistical analysis.
How to “Declare” a Minor
Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign are not required to complete a minor for degree certification. However, many find this a desirable opportunity to study at some depth in a subject matter of additional interest to their major field of study. To officially pursue a minor on this campus, students must be aware of the information and follow the procedures outlined below.
- The completion of the minor is an optional degree requirement to the baccalaureate program. Exceptions are the programs in the teaching of chemistry, physics, German, Latin, and Russian and the Minor in Secondary School Teaching.
- The sponsoring department of the minor is responsible for informing students of the approved requirements for the minor and for any advising associated with the minor.
- Students’ enrollment periods will not be extended for the purpose of completing a minor.
- No priority on class registration will be given for courses required in the minor.
- Minor(s) will not be added retroactively to a student’s record after graduation.
- The student is responsible for notifying her/his college of the desire to pursue a minor by completing and appropriately filing the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus – Approved Minor. In the event of an Inter College Transfer (ICT), the student is responsible for notifying her/his new college of intent to pursue a minor by providing the original or a photo copy of the Statement of Intent Form.
- The Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor must be submitted to the student’s college of enrollment prior to the last day to add a class in the semester in which the student intends to graduate to assure timely processing.
- Any variance from courses required in the minor must be approved on the Modification of Minor form by the unit sponsoring the minor, that unit’s college and submitted to the student’s college office for final processing.
- The student is responsible for notifying her/his college of cancellation of the minor by use of the Modification of Minor Form.
Students must get the signed approval from an Undergraduate Advisor (email@example.com), before declaring a Statistics Minor.